Tuesday, May 17, 2016

How Do You Cope With Trials? - Thinkjoust Tuesday #48

Original picture taken from On an Adventure: a girl and her boys
One of my friends threw me a link a few weeks ago asking me to run a thinkjoust about the couple featured in the blog On an Adventure: a girl and her boys.

To make a long story short, a couple (Spencer and Whitney) struggling with infertility decided to take 6 sets of photos in honor of Infertility Awareness Week. The first half of the series were representations of modern pregnancy announcements. The second half of the series were parodies of those same announcements.

The photos were a mixed bag of emotions for me. While the comparisons were funny, and Spencer and Whitney's over-the-top emotions perfected the parody, it was obvious the couple found the experience of infertility utterly painful.

However, Spencer and Whitney coped through good humor and optimism. They've adopted two boys, and they seem happy as all out.

At the same time, I could imagine some couples failing to see the humor in the announcements. Some individuals may find the parody photos insensitive, especially if viewed out of context. That isn't to say Spencer and Whitney were wrong to make those photos, but to point out that there are many ways to overcome difficult times.

Not everyone feels confident finding ways to cope with difficult, sad, or depressing times. That's why I wanted to ask you guys how you cope. Do you use humor? Do you take time to be alone and meditate? Do you visit with family or friends?

Let me know in the comments ways you think your methods might help others, and this Saturday, I'll share my own methods of coping.

Don't forget to send any suggestions for future posts via the suggestion link up top! I love you guys, and I'll see you Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. Prayer and thinking it through. Most of the time when I'm frustrated, or sad, or depressed about something, its because I'm only looking at one aspect of my life. So it helps to look at the bigger picture. Sometimes that means a phone call home, a walk around town, or Netflix. Anything to help me pause, calm down, and see what's really happening.

    ReplyDelete