Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Point of the Matter

Ecclesiastes 3:1-13: "To every thing there is a season..."

I think focus is my big problem right now. True, yesterday's post focused on focus as well (HA! See what I did there?), but I think, touching on that concept, everything falls down to priority.
One of the big reasons why anyone ever fails at anything, I believe, is a lack of proper priority. Perhaps many of the world's greatest minds have been locked under the sway of outside forces, who place their extraneous interests and desires above that which they've been inspired to do. I certainly could not have even attempted to keep a blog like this two years ago, so focused was I on my 'top two priorities,' namely, 1.) video games, and 2.) endlessly obsessing over ways to gain vengeance for every insignificant instance my pride was nicked. As it was, my chief goals in life - to become a published author, to get married, to enter Christ's presence - were all placed on the back burner. I still have yet to accomplish any of those things, obviously, and the latter objective will take the rest of my life to complete, but now that my priorities are focused on those things, I have a better chance at succeeding. And taking myself out as an example, do you think Thomas Edison would have ever been able to produce commercially practical light bulbs if he'd spent all his free time doing a number of unconnected, unfulfilling tasks? That man had priorities.



My family and I had the opportunity to take a trip to Seattle yesterday, a city I've had an interest in long before I ever had the chance to go. Now that they've moved a little closer, I was able to experience some sights and wonders for the very first time. Throughout the entire day, I was just strongly reminded of the blessings I've been given.
I had people who loved me on every side, and yet, I saw many who were alone.
I had a smart phone from which I was able to get directions, and yet, many begged me for money for food.
I was able to have an extended, relationship-building conversation with my brother, something I can't recall us ever doing.
I was able to ascend to the heavens and see man's machinations mingled with the beauty of God's creations.
I was able to recognize some more improvements I need to make in my discipline and diligence.
All in all, it was a magnificent day. Sometimes, I think I look for the 'big needle' in my life, the big blessing I want ... right now! However, yesterday, I would have been completely content to stay on the ground, as everything I really needed was right there with me. And that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment