Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Built upon the Rock

Isaiah 2:2 "...And all nations shall flow unto it."


It is so easy to find entertainment that just wastes my time. Some things are more innocent in that they just destroy any bit of free time I have - like the incessant amount of games existing on my family's various electronic devices* - but other things, like television, prove damaging in that what I imbue has the potential to damage me spiritually, to weaken my relationship with God**. Both addicting and vulgar entertainment sap my appreciation for the beauty of reality, for what God has given unto me in abundance. Now, obviously, I'm not advocating that all entertainment is inherently evil; that would be silly! Half the reason why I made this blog was to produce some clean, early-morning entertainment as a possible alternative to the other choices out there. What I AM saying is that, like the aforementioned 'flaxen cords', I need to actively make decisions about how I spend my time and if what I'm doing is diminishing my relationship with God or with those people in my life with whom God has blessed me.


I had the opportunity yesterday to attend a session at the Portland, Oregon temple. I was just amazed at how relaxing the trip was, at how close I was able to feel to the Spirit as I performed the necessary labors in behalf of Abel Miller, one of my farflung ancestors from the 30s. The 1730s, to be exact.
I had many reasons for wanting to attend the temple, but the top priority was so I could go to the Lord's house and thank Him for the great gift He gave me in sending me off to serve His people in Jamaica for two years. I had thanked him 'nuff times on my knees over the past week; I figured a little more effort would only help.
I've never been to the Portland Temple before, so I was unfamiliar with the Celestial room's layout. Ascending the stairs, I discovered a life-sized painting of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, specifically The Second Coming, by Harry Anderson. I stood before that painting for some time, staring up into His eyes and wondering, Will I be ready when you do come again? Am I doing everything I can to qualify for your grace?
Well, not yet, obviously, but after I left those sacred grounds, I felt comforted that, though I know what I need to improve on, I am on the right track. And it is enough.


*2 Nephi 9:51
**2 Nephi 26:22

No comments:

Post a Comment