Monday, June 23, 2014

The Day Dawn is Breaking

Alma 30:44: "...The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God, yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator."

I have come to recognize something very important regarding the way I view those of other denominations. I find myself a very tolerant and open-minded person when it comes to talking about other faiths, even going so far as to defend them if someone even idly criticizes them, but sometimes, there just comes a point when I am the most intolerant and close-minded individual in the group. This leads my comments sounding quite aggressive and judgmental, presenting the impression that, on the inside, I have nothing but scorn for those of my brothers and sisters who are reaching out for Christ in the best way they know how. In all honesty, I have nothing but love and admiration for those of other faiths, who, like me, are fighting to stand strong when so many people stand for nothing at all. I want to be able to talk about other faiths in the way the Savior would, and refrain from taking the 'easy way out' by resorting to base - rather than intelligent - commentary.


I had the opportunity to travel, along with a few select members of my family, to a hiking trail overlooking the Colombia River Gorge. Funnily enough, as we approached the overlook, we came upon a large group standing where my parents had designed to go. Upon seeing us, a woman called out, "I'm sorry, but I don't suppose you can do us a favor?"
Mom is always eager to help. "Of COURSE we would love to take pictures for you!"
"Actually, we're scattering ashes and would like a moment."
Oooo... awkward.
So, we all beat a hasty retreat to give the group some time before doubling back to try again. The second time, the group had vanished, which allowed us to really breathe in the wonderful sight that lay before us. The picture fails to really capture the full extent of the beauty and grandeur the overlook has to offer, but it is enough.
As we stood there, just admiring God's creation, the hymn "How Great Thou Art" came to mind. I couldn't resist launching into the first verse, and, sure enough, the other members of my family joined as well, turning the simple family outing into a sacred, special moment. I was so grateful for that opportunity to be there, awkward moment and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment