Saturday, July 16, 2016

Why Reading Minds is the Worst - Response Saturday #24


This post is a response to the question earlier this week. You can check it out at this link!

According to you guys, reading minds isn't worth it unless you're able to control when you can read them


Beyond that, it wasn't worth it.

I included the stipulation that you don't have control over when you read minds because every superpower has to have its drawbacks, and like Arm from Nancy Farmer's The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm, having the ability to read people's minds should be both a blessing and a curse.

If you think about it, all of our inborn abilities have pros and cons. You can pet a cat and pet a stove.You can listen to music, or get your drums blasted by a shrieking toddler. You can smell roses, and you can smell farts.  You can hold a baby or punch one in the face.

It's like Uncle Ben said. "With great power comes great responsibility." We owe every baby hugs and cuddles, not punches. Let's that responsibility well.

And considering that, I doubt I would well use the ability to read other people's minds. I can't tell you how many times I might have lifted someone's spirits and instead tore them down. My tongue may be used for compliments, but it has also been used as a weapon.

So let's say I can read someone's thoughts. How long would it take before I would be tempted to manipulate them? To lie to them? To learn something private for my own personal gain?

And I'd probably put myself into a compromising situation at some point. "Stacy's favorite color is orange!" I might say.

"I never told you that," Stacy says, her face turning a bright red.

"Uh ... I saw it on Facebook?"

"I've never told anyone on Facebook."

"Er ... I saw you tweet about it?"

Stacy bellows at me. "I've kept that secret for years, Zachary! Why did you have to go and reveal it? Now the witch's curse will no longer be held at bay! My face will melt, my bones will collapse, and I will be forced to walk this planet barefoot for THE REST OF ETERNITY! I hate you, Zachary! I hate you!"

"Surely you're exaggerating," I say.

In swoops a witch. "CACKLE CACKLE CACKLE!" she shrieks.

How embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment