Thursday, June 23, 2016

How to Connect to Strangers - Thursday Thought #7


While I was working one of my evening shifts, one of the university police officers dropped by the desk to take care of some things. Before I knew it, we'd fallen into a deep and revealing conversation about each other.

We got to know about each other's families. We compared notes regarding the various books we're writing. We chatted about our personal dreams and goals in life. We offered advice according to our confidence in various topics. We spoke about the gospel and its effect on our lives. We got to know each other as people, as individuals, as we exposed ourselves through our thoughts and comments.

It was awesome.

When I first started talking with the officer, we were basically strangers. Oh, we'd seen each other around campus a couple of times, and I'd even had a few conversations with him, but this was the first time I really learned who he was.

This experience got me thinking. The only time in my life when I regularly interacted with strangers on a regular basis was on my two year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Even then, I wasn't necessarily trying to learn everything about these strangers. I had an overt motive to share my message with them, and while that was a good thing, my first few minutes of conversation would be spent looking for specific common ground, as opposed to merely enjoying what came my way from them.

Upon this realization, I decided I needed to start reaching out to people more. I may not be able to have an in-depth conversation with a stranger every day, but when I do meet a stranger, I can at least try to learn something about them, and not just where they're from or what their major is, either. 

Whether it's their dream residence, or why they chose their major, or even what their favorite color is, I need to remember that strangers have a lot to share. So why not ask them?

And just so you know, Officer Wayne Beck truly is just an awesome guy. Don't believe me? Check out what he's doing at his website, which is entirely appropriately named, "Every Encounter Builds Perspective." Thanks, Wayne!

No comments:

Post a Comment